Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Feeding the Chickens

Today Natalie's grandma picked her up after school for a "something special" and I kept Leah and Rebecca and took them up to Clagett Farm for our farm share pickup. This week was amazing!!!! We were offered turnips, radishes, swiss chard, garlic, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, zucchini, green beans, wax beans, bok choy, and more! I have never seen such an abundant week. I guess with the drought things are just coming in slowly and it all matured at the same time. We came home with bags groaning (the bags were groaning due to the weight, not me! I was thrilled with such a fine haul). Rebecca's favorite thing about the farm is eating still warm sun-ripened tomatoes and she was eating and eating out of the trays... when I asked her to stop she said, but I'm still hungry, and one of the farm workers overheard her and brought her a huge chunk of watermelon that they had in the back for the staff. She and I and Leah chowed down and then the children went to ask where the compost pile was for the rinds and the lady said, let's go feed them to the chickens. I never knew that chickens like watermelon rinds. We walked over to the chicken tractor, cut up the rinds into little pieces, and dropped them in through the wire, then lifted up the panel covering the nesting area and the children found an egg! They were sooo excited. It was a really nice outing.

No comments: