Thursday, October 11, 2007

Finding the Moral

The moral of the story is, of course, figure it all out before you begin. :-)

I started with the letters book, thinking it would be the perfect way to introduce the letters while she studies sounds in school, and it is. We love the book. Form Drawing is a kind of extra thing that I will do in the afternoons. We will use the purple MLB and practice forms, saying nothing about writing letters. The letters thing is a cool story and a sound game, which is how they are doing it in school as well, just finding words that have a sound in them. For math we will begin to draw the numbers and then I will do the alphabet with Natalie in December as a part of Around the World. We can switch the legends block with the learning about geography block and I'll do fairy tales and other stories to introduce the letters again, this time drawing them. So it leads naturally from the drawing the numbers. And I can reinforce the countries that Natalie is hearing about in school with the legends. That means that I will probably use LMNOP for the illustrations and then choose a story to accompany, one of my original ideas. I have other alphabet books (like Living Alphabet) but don't like them as much as these 2.

So

October - Purple - Form Drawing (continues through the year)

November - Blue - Numbers 1 to 12 (learn to knit)

December - Yellow - Fairy Tales and Folk Tales

January - Green - Four Seasons

February - Red - Poetry (introduce recitation)

March - Blue - Four Processes

April - Yellow - World Geography

May - Green - Four Elements


I have decided that it's OK to combine form drawing with language arts instruction since FD is Heart and not Head. I'll post the forms we do and the stories, etc. as we go.

Natalie gets Spanish, Yoga, and Music in school.

I have yet to decide about the recorder thing. I think we will probably start an instrument when she turns 6.

No comments: