Thursday, October 11, 2007

Form Drawing Day by Day

I have many many FD books and I am finding that Beginning with Form Drawing by Live Education is perfect for this first block. It's an excellent book -- gives you the how-to, a little of the why (you can do a lot more reading on this if you get interested in it) and, best of all, a complete list with color illustrations of 24 forms to get you started, as well as story suggestions for each. Book titles below are my own brainstorm notes...

Here goes:
Day One - the straight line and curved line
Day Two - bridge (The Three Billy Goats Gruff)
Day Three - mountains (The Hermit and the Well)
Day Four - mountains with sky (How the Rabbit Stole the Moon)
Day Five - ripples in the water (Over in the Meadow)

Day Six - rainbows (The Rainbow Goblins)
Day Seven - hill and dale (Red Berry Wool)
Day Eight - string of pearls (Grandfather Twilight)
Day Nine - waves (The Fisherman and His Wife)
Day Ten - mushrooms in the forest (Children of the Forest)

Day Eleven - castle ramparts (Little Briar-Rose)
Day Twelve - teeth of a saw (The Giving Tree)
Day Thirteen - diamonds (The Talking Eggs)
Day Fourteen - doors and windows (The Duchess Bakes a Cake)
Day Fifteen - otters (A Lot of Otters)

Day Sixteen - bumblebee (The Wise King and the Little Bee)
Day Seventeen - fruit on a vine (The Fox and the Grapes)


There are more but we will probably stop at this point to go on to the next main lesson block.

Other things you need to teach form drawing: a blank main lesson book, a tin of Stockmar block beeswax crayons, practice paper, sidewalk chalk, a flat pan filled with rice, a silk streamer, a beach with wet sand.

My MIL is going to Colonial Williamsburg next week and I have a wishlist of things I want her to bring back for me... I thought when we went in April that it would be a while before I'd be doing school with N so I didn't buy a lot of things I had my eye on. But I'm going to ask her to get a slate and a slate pencil for practicing forms. :-)

No comments: