Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pumpkins

I haven't found any pumpkin books (with the exception of Cinderella) so we will focus our attentions on "Peter, Peter, Pumpkin-Eater." I am currently working on needle felting a HUGE hollow pumpkin made from a large piece of cream wool batting and covered with pumpkin colored roving (color #19 from Weir Dolls). The whole thing is about 6 inches wide and 9 inches high including the cap, complete with stem. Then I will make small figures of Peter and his wife. Some people get around the supposed misogynistic overtones of this rhyme by silently placing Peter in the pumpkin with his wife at the end. That was a suggestion given at one of my workshops with Suzanne Down and I thought it was a very good one.

If you're looking for a smaller project, there is a Felt Baby Pumpkin Kit at A Toy Garden.

Tomorrow morning all three girls and I will head to Hallowing Point Park at 9:30 am for the school's pumpkin festival. We've also changed our potty treats from cashews to organic pumpkin seeds, which the children think are delicious.

By the way, the cloaks left as gifts by the gnomes worked wonderfully and the girls all eagerly got up this morning and checked the fairy path to see if they had gotten more presents. Luckily for me it rained last night, so I suggested that maybe the gnomes didn't leave out any gifts, knowing that they would get wet.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Foss said...

Rhoda,
Here's a pumpkin book you might like:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0803721242/4reallearning