Friday, May 22
Prior to Meeting
- "Can You Get Electricity from a Lemon?"
on page 61 of
175 More Science Experiments to Amuse and Amaze Your Friends
- "Circuit Challenge"
on page 63 of the same
- "A Five-Cent Flashlight:
How can you make a flashlight with pennies?"
on page 49 of
Awesome Physics Experiments for Kids by Eric Colon
- "Temporary Magnets:
How can you turn everyday objects into temporary magnets?"
on page 67 of the same
- "Controlling Electromagnets:
How can you create a temporary magnets using an electric current?"
on page 59 of the same
- "Solar-Powered Snack:
Can you cook s'mores using energy from the Sun?"
on page 90 of the same
During the Meeting
- review the results of student at-home activities
- discuss Alessandro Volta (1800)
- read "The First Battery" explanation on page 60 of 175 More Science Experiments to Amuse and Amaze Your Friends
- have students share their own discoveries and experiments using kits they have at home; look at demonstrations of circuits and resistors
- read information from Cooking with Light - How Solar Cooking Works
- watch Solar Oven S'Mores video and review the steps and instructions; make one using a little 8 1/2 inch square pizza box from Mod Pizza (thank you to Ms. Destinee for this donation!)
By the time we finished Science Club and Zac and I had demonstrated how to make the solar oven it was too late in the day. So we set it out at 8:30 the next morning with a sliced croissant in it with some chocolate chips on top. By 4:30 in the afternoon the temperature in the solar oven was at the very top of the thermometer (140 degrees) and the croissant was toasted and the chocolate was melty. We tried setting a croissant and chocolate setup beside it as the control, but animals ate it. So I wouldn't recommend that!
We didn't do this in class but if your child wants to see a circuit diagram, I recommend this video which shows the diagram for a Faraday flashlight.
This post contains affiliate links to materials I truly use for homeschooling. Qualifying purchases provide me with revenue. Thank you for your support!