Monday, May 11
- discuss Viking reports for the end of the main lesson block
- have students choose their preferred topics from the list: Viking Ordinary Life, Viking Foods, Viking Expansion / Weapons / Ships
- recall and add "Iduna and the Magic Apples"
- hear new story: "Skade, the Ski-goddess"
Tuesday, May 12
- give an "Introduction to the Vikings" presentation to the whole class:
Introduction to the Vikings PPT
(to which I added some extra slides with information about the Celts, knots, illuminated manuscripts, and the gorgeous Book of Kells which -- ironically -- didn't end up being stolen by the Vikings after all)
- assign Evidence About the Vikings student worksheet for HW
- share specific resources for each child's research as well as general resources suitable for everybody (Crash Course History #224, Introduction to the Vikings timeline, Viking Homelands blank map); have students begin their research and individual report preparation; suggest The Secret of Kells for a fun family movie night option
Thursday, May 14
- recall and add "Skade, the Ski-goddess" to MLB
Friday, May 15
- hear new stories (two instead of one, since our session yesterday was aborted due to technical difficulties):
"The Death of Balder"
Over the weekend students should continue to research and prepare their Viking reports, and do the Viking Gods Puzzle student worksheet for fun!
Also fun, Crash Course Mythology!
For a review of the Norse Pantheon overall and a legend we did not cover
"The Theft of Thor's Hammer" (the whole video)
For a review of part 1 of the legend we are adding Monday
"The Death of Balder" (from 3:47 to 5:56)
For a review of part 2 of the legend we are adding Monday
"Loki's Punishment" (from the beginning to 3:02)
And, of course, if anyone gets excited about "The Theft of Thor's Hammer" and wants to add it to their MLBs, they can do it over the weekend before we add "The Death of Balder" and "Loki's Punishment" on Monday.
This post contains affiliate links to materials I truly use for homeschooling. Qualifying purchases provide me with revenue. Thank you for your support!