Tuesday, August 7, 2007

24 Little Hours

What a difference a day makes...

Yesterday my kids had yet to come home from Connecticut, I was super-excited to see them and completely high on the possibilities of next school year.

Today (prepare yourself...) Natalie is signed up for kindergarten at a nearby private school! She wasn't thriving at home and it's my job to make sure that she gets what she needs (in this case, an introduction to academic work, more structure in the daily routine, and more social time with kids her own age) and not to stick to my pride and insist "We will homeschool no matter what." Natalie matters a lot more than I do. It's a very good Montessori-based school which we absolutely loved when we visited -- and they are no strangers to Waldorf either. The teacher was telling me that she read Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children over the summer so we were able to chat a bit about the similarities and differences between the two philosophies. And they are not pure Montessori, they wrote their own curriculum, drawing from a variety of sources.

After the visit to the school, Steve and the kids dropped me off at the physical therapist where I found out that my (I thought minor) injury from the long car trip back from Ohio is, in fact, another disk bulge! This one between C6 and C7. So my back appears to be degenerating faster than I had thought. This means more weeks of physical therapy and it will make it hard for me to be on the computer as much as I wanted to -- and I can't drive at all, so no errands, no working, no nuthin'. Actually, people who visit my website know that I was in the process of moving the curriculum units to a subscription-locked part of the site because operating it by donations only was not working out. It will be hard to be on the computer working on that transition but it's imperative.

However, good news in the "Back to Waldorf - How Did We Ever Get So Far Away?" department, which is that now I can focus all my attention schoolwise on Leah and Rebecca (2 and 3 years old) with whom we will definitely be Waldorfing it up. And that means more Waldorf-specific content in the blog. Also I'm doing the Sunday School thing which is very Waldorf, so no more Montessori curriculum comments -- which should make some readers happy. :-)

Last but not least, at this very moment Rebecca and Steve are on their way to Urgent Care After Hours because we suspect she may have fractured her collarbone when she fell out of the high chair. So my idyllic moments of sitting around bored waiting for my family to come home have all been shattered, and now it's back into full-time parenting mode. All in 24 little hours...


No comments: