Thursday, August 23, 2007

Autumn Arrives

Natalie remarked to me yesterday that Autumn was on its way. I didn't see any signs of it, just an unseasonably cool day, but this morning I'm looking out on the deck and, sure enough, trees are changing colors. I guess she was more in tune with it this year than I was.

N was diagnosed this morning with croup, so she can't go on her classroom visit tomorrow to see her new friends and check out the room now that it is all set up for back to school. Hopefully she won't have to miss the first day on Monday. I've got my fingers crossed!!!

Leah, as it turns out, has walking pneumonia. Her croup settled in and made itself comfortable I guess. We are watching Rebecca. This is why you don't plan for school too far in advance. :-) We'll keep our day one plan but it will be an easy-going week. My idea was to plant our carrot seeds Tuesday, do our farm visit to the CSA, pick something on the you-pick list (the most recent one we picked was Swiss chard). Do body parts -- how people grow. Then look at plants, how they grow. I had been thinking of doing some apple picking and drying the apples (Earthways page 38). We have crabapple trees near us. There are a lot of Waldorf apple ideas and it's a nice autumn connection.

Rebecca doesn't get as much mention in here, I'm realizing. Right now her favorite book is The Snowman. This is a beautiful wordless picture book. (There are other versions of it out there, a board book, an early reader. Get the original, the wordless one.) I had a newsletter for wordless picture books on my website -- I will find it and add it to the Group files.



No comments: