Thursday, August 23, 2007

Tiny Brooms

Found a source for tiny brooms. My mouse puppet is 4 inches tall. Google "dollhouse miniatures broom" and you should find 3 inch brooms. There's one on eBay right now.


Apple ideas for September, week 1

songs: "Old Roger Was Dead"

books: The Apple Cake by Nienke Van Hichtum (includes recipe)

projects: Drying Apples - Earthways, page 38
Gingered Applesauce - Nicole Routhier's Fruit Cookbook

verses/movement games from A Child's Seasonal Treasury:
Apple Secrets, page 36
Old English Apple Picking, page 41
Golden Apple Tree, page 42
The Apple Tree, page 48


I'd like (not that I'm supposed to be getting so far ahead of myself) to do the 2nd week of September on fallen leaves. At that point we will set up our Nature table for Autumn (Tableau 8 in The Nature Corner: Celebrating the Year's Cycle With a Seasonal Tableau).

Then maybe a week on chestnuts, acorns, hazelnuts, etc. That would be September, week 3. Also black walnuts. We can gather these from my Aunt Janet's property, just like we did last year.


I love Autumn!

Grains in week 4. Wheat, oats
(We are going to Barbara's Family Harvest Weekend September 28-30 if I can save up the money. It is $110 for adults and $70 for children.)


Corn maybe for October, week 1
Corn mazes. Corn husk dolls.

Root vegetables (I have a wonderful illustration for this from the back cover of a Cook's Illustrated and we can do turnip and rutabaga lanterns)
October, week 2

Gnomes (lovely to make some for the children to play with, also I can introduce the Tiptoes series to Leah) October, week 3

Pumpkins, naturally, for October, week 4

October, week 5 is Halloween


I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I just love the harvest season! It's so much more inspiring to me than Winter, which just drags on and on.


No comments: