Wednesday, January 4, 2023

The Kindness Curriculum

We did this last in 2020, so it seemed like a good idea to go through it again. It ties in well with the mindfulness exercises I wanted to incorporate for Buddhism in World Religions, and is a good fit for our Jataka Tales block. This curriculum is meant for early childhood, so I will adapt it a bit for grades 1/2.

Here are my notes from the last time I taught this curriculum. And, if I used a new story this time around, I've put a picture of it below the lesson title:


Theme 1: MINDFUL BODIES AND PLANTING SEEDS OF KINDNESS

    Lesson 1: Mindful bodies and awareness of attention and breath

    Lesson 2: Growing seeds

    Lesson 3: Growing friendship with kindness


Theme 2: I FEEL EMOTIONS ON THE INSIDE

    Lesson 4: Quiet emotions on the inside

    Lesson 5: I can notice things when I’m quiet on the inside

    A Mindful Eating Script (PDF)

    Lesson 6: Different emotions feel differently on the inside


Theme 3: HOW I FEEL ON THE INSIDE SHOWS ON THE OUTSIDE

    Lesson 7: Emotions on the inside show on the outside
    Lesson 8: Working with emotions in a kind and friendly way
    Lesson 9: Emotions change many times each day


Theme 4: TAKING CARE OF STRONG EMOTIONS ON THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE

    Lesson 10: Busy mind and clear mind
    Lesson 11: Making Mind Jars and practicing using them
    Lesson 12: What else can we do when we are upset?


Theme 5: CALMING AND WORKING OUT PROBLEMS

    Lesson 13: Mindful movement
    Lesson 14: Forgiving myself
    Lesson 15: Forgiving others


Theme 6: GRATITUDE

    Lesson 16: Gratitude for people or things in my life
    Lesson 17: Gratitude for my body
    Lesson 18: Gratitude for other people


Theme 7: ALL PEOPLE DEPEND ON EACH OTHER AND THE EARTH

    Lesson 19: People around the world want peace
    Lesson 20: Connections with others
    Lesson 21: Caring for animals and insects


Theme 8: GRATITUDE AND CARING FOR OUR WORLD AND WRAP-UP

    Lesson 22: Gratitude and caring for our world


Peace Wands

speaking from the heart
being a star listener


No comments: