Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Haunted House of Speech, Revisited

I first learned about the Haunted House of Speech a decade ago. I posted about it in my blog in 2010!

My colleague, Ms. Denise, invented it. She set it up as a work with command cards, but I let students decorate their houses however they wish. They work on them throughout October.

At my old school, we always had enormous rolls of white paper in the staff workroom. So we did the HHS with huge rolls of paper. The children had to find things to weight down each of the four corners. We fastened them shut with clothespins and wrote each child's name on the outside of the roll AND on the clothespin. It was always a bit cumbersome... but worth it!

Here are some photos from the classroom from 2018 and 2019 of children doing this work. You see how beautiful they are!


This year I finally ran out of the paper that was donated to me by a parent when I started the homeschool co-op. Also, I'm sending home the HHS for children this year to do with their families. I didn't want to subject them to the paper rolls. So I decided to trace the template onto poster board instead! Necessity being the mother of invention... but I think I actually like doing it this way!

Posterboard is easier to store and it doesn't roll up while you're working on it. I had made my template so big, however, that it takes up one entire side. So the Grammar symbols have to go on the other side. I think it will still work out very well.

Here are some photos of the new improved HHS:

tracing the template is the first step

a blank house ready to be decorated

the Grammar symbols on the back side of the paper

rolls of work from previous years

Becca liked to decorate it first, then write each word
under its Grammar symbol

she even traced a blank one for Zac to use this year

Natalie added the words below the Grammar symbols
in an ongoing process as she went along
and it doesn't have to be colored to be beautiful!

You may also enjoy my blog post about How Montessori Teaches Grammar.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I had a parent ask about whether they write the sentences for their child to do (like the command cards Ms. Denise made up when she invented this work), or whether the child decorates it as he/she wishes and then writes the sentences.

I let the children decorate them however they want. For a larger classroom setting, it did make more sense to restrict things a bit, to keep the gore from getting out of hand. But I think being able to be creative makes it more interesting.

For example, you might make the following sentences with your child after examining all of the intricate details on the completed Haunted House:

"The timid grey mouse ran quickly down the staircase but was seized by the cackling witch and she held him over her bubbling black kettle. Yikes!"

article - the
adjective - timid, grey, cackling, her, bubbling, black
noun - mouse, staircase, witch, kettle
verb - ran, was seized, held
adverb - quickly
preposition - down, by, over
pronoun - she, him
conjunction - but, and
interjection - yikes